Are you confused about benefits and difference between Whey protein concentrate vs Isolate vs Hydrolysate then you are on the right post because here I am going to list all the major benefits and difference between each of them and which one you must choose.
Regarding of the difference between each of them no matter they are Whey protein concentrate or isolate or hydrolysate ultimately it comes to the point that Whey protein is right now the best protein supplement on the market.
No matter your goal is weight loss, bodybuilding, build muscles or just stay fit, Whey protein can help you to achieve your goals without any problem or issues. But Whey protein also comes in 3 different types that is Whey protein concentrate, Whey protein Isolate and Whey protein Hydrolysate.
However Whey protein concentrate is the most popular form of whey protein which is widely used by many men and women but this does not mean that the other 2 types are not useful.
See Isolate and Hydrolysate are manufactured by big companies so do you think they are wasting their time if whey protein concentrate is most popular and the best?
No we don’t think so since every variants has it’s own benefits and drawbacks which we are going to see in this article. We are also going to list the benefits and difference between different types of whey protein mainly concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate.
But before we get into details for beginners who have just started their bodybuilding,muscle gaining or weight loss process. It’s very important to know what exactly whey protein is in the first place and how you can actually benefit by ingesting it.
So we will first see what is whey protein and then we will proceed further with the benefits and differences between each one of them
What is Whey Protein
Whey protein comes from cow milk and is the byproduct of the cheese making process which is separated during the process of separation of cheese and the curd.
The liquid part which is left is liquefied whey protein but then it is dehydrated in solid whey protein powders and then further processed to deliver the final whey protein products to the market place.
It has got all the essential amino acids which helps our body in protein synthesis and build muscles with many other benefits.
Literally for many years manufacturers were not knowing the commercial value of this discarded liquid but finally they came to know this and then whey protein powder business is expected to reach approximately $17 Billion in 2017.
Benefits & Difference Between Whey Protein concentrate vs Isolate vs Hydrolysate
Now we are coming to the main section of this article which is the benefits and the difference between whey protein isolate vs concentrate vs hydrolysate. If you are stressing to much on this then you don’t have to, there are minimum differences mainly in the processing of these whey proteins types.
But if you are into bodybuilding or want to build muscles then you can go with any of these types however, there are some minor differences and benefits of each one over the other which we will see now one by one.
So without wasting much time let’s start with the first type that is whey protein concentrate
Whey Protein Concentrate
- Whey protein concentrate is the most popular and widely used form of whey protein in dietary supplement industry because of it muscle building and bio active benefits.
- It is relatively cheaper as compare to other types which is isolate and hydrolysate.
- Whey protein concentrate is complete protein which consists of protein, essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, carbs ( lactose ) and fat.
- In whey protein concentrate you will find 70-80% of protein and the rest is the combination of carbohydrates (lactose) and fat.
- For any healthy men and women Whey protein concentrate is great supplement to achieve their fitness and bodybuilding goal.
- However, for those who are lactose intolerant may face problem digesting lactose and this is the reason why whey protein isolate can be a good choice.
- If you are minor lactose intolerant then you can add lactose an enzyme which helps you to easily digest lactose but if you are very lactose intolerant then you must try whey protein isolate.
Whey Protein Isolate
- Whey protein isolate is more superior quality whey protein mainly due to the longer processioning it goes through.
- What is the major difference between whey protein concentrate and isolate is that it contain more proportion of protein generally above 90% with less to minimal amount of carbs and fat.
- This makes it a very popular bodybuilding supplement for those who are into bodybuilding sport and want to build lean muscle mass which out gaining too much fat and carbs intake.
- Another difference is in the price as whey protein isolate is little expensive as compared to whey protein concentrate.
- What makes whey protein isolate so special is that it contains very less to no amount of fat, carbs and lactose which makes it very good protein supplement for the people who are lactose intolerant and cannot take concentrate due to the larger proportion of lactose.
- So if you are also lactose intolerant and find it really difficult to digest whey protein concentrate then you must definitely try whey protein isolate and we are pretty sure that you will not face any issues.
Whey Protein Hydrolysate
- Now the final one which is Whey protein Hydrolysate, it is one of the most expensive protein as compared to concentrate and isolate protein mainly due to more longer processing and filtration process it goes through.
- It is very easily digestible and very fast absorbing form of whey protein which enables you to increase protein synthesis and build more muscles.
- If you are in the sport of bodybuilding or want to build muscles then we would recommend you to take 25 to 30 grams of whey protein hydrolysate just after your workout routines but make sure that you are taking in between 30 minutes time interval.
- Many experts believe that if you will provide whey protein to your body right after your intense weight training schedule then it gets absorbed faster. Sometime this period is also called as anabolic period.
- But what makes whey protein hydrolysate so special as compared with concentrate and isolate?
- When we take whey concentrate or whey isolate protein shakes it is in the form of long chain amino acids which is broken down in single amino acid by our body and thus makes our body to easily digest it.
- But with whey protein hydrolysate it is already done for you so you get more better results both in terms of muscle gain, insulin spike with results in more protein synthesis and strength increase.
- It is called as predigested protein supplement and this is the reason why it is the most costly protein supplement in caparison to concentrate and isolate.
- For athletes who are into serious bodybuilding sport can take whey protein hydrolysate which has very high protein ration which enables them to build more lean muscle mass while keeping the fat and carbs intake to very minimal you can say as fat or carbs free supplement.
Over to you :
So as you can see that there is not major difference between whey protein concentrate vs isolate vs hydrolysate but there are differences between their price, protein, carbohydrates ratio, digestibility and bio active benefits.
If we talk about bio active benefits then whey protein concentrate is the best and you can get all the benefits and build muscles at the same time. However there are exception in every senarios which is lactose intolerant people who really struggle to digest concentrate from of whey protein.
Then they can go for whey protein isolate which has zero to very minimal amount of carbs lactose and fat. However for serious bodybuilders who are really very cautious about each and every carbs and calorie intake must definitely try whey protein hydrolysate as it’s more suitable according to their needs and requirements.
We would really love to hear from you which whey protein are you using and are you facing any trouble and what benefits and difference you find which we have missed please let us know in the comment section.
Also feel free to share this article on Facebook,Twitter, Google plus and other social media sites so that your friends and family members and come to know the major differences between whey protein concentrate vs isolate vs hydrolysate.
Remember that we are here to help as many people as we can so we need your support as well and we really hope that you will not let us down. Helping other will help you more when you will need the most. Thank you.